Saturday, March 27, 2010

Social Fad?

I noticed this trend when my youngest child was in grade school.  It all seemed silly to me and I let him be "free range".  Lots of other mothers were dragging their kids around to activities all day long.  I would have hated that, so I just wouldn't buy into it. My daughter apparently holds it against me that I was not doing this 35 years ago with her - when no one was.  I think it is mostly female social competition that is really being exploited as a consumer trend.  It is also part of the mythology being pushed that mothers have a huge influence on how their children turn out - part of "blank slate" psychology and the push to get women back in the home by conservatives.

We'll see how these spoiled and pushed children all turn out, won't we?  

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]